BAHRU STAINLESS SDN BHD was officially announced in March 2008 as the newest stainless steel production facility of the ACERINOX S.A. Group of companies headquartered in Madrid, Spain.
The facilities are located in Tanjung Langsat Industrial Complex in Johor Bahru on a site consisting of 140 hectares of land designated for industrial use. The majority of the raw material is received at a shared break bulk port facility to which BAHRU has direct access. The site also has access to container and break bulk facilities at nearby Johor Port as well as container facilities at Tanjung Pelepas and in Singapore providing key logistical advantages.
The project has been planned in phases at its inception to ultimately have a fully integrated stainless steel manufacturing facility from steel making through finishing (cutting and shearing to customer specifications). The full realization of the project will result in a steel making capacity of 1 million MT and cold rolling capacity of 600,000 MT.
Both Phase I and Phase II have been in production since 2012 and have a combined capacity to produce 400,000 MT of finished goods per year. The two phases consist of the following:
- Two Annealing and Pickling lines (AP1 and AP2) which were designed and built by Andritz
- AP1 with capabilities of processing both hot roll coil and cold roll coil from 0.7mm through 12.5mm and widths up to 1600mm
- AP2 with capabilities of processing cold roll coil from 0.3mm through 2.5mm and widths up to 1600mm; it also includes an in-line Skin Pass mill (SKP) for producing 2B finish as well as tension-leveling and side trimming equipment
- Two Sendzimir cold rolling mills (ZM1 & ZM2)
- ZM1 which has the capacity to produce final products from 0.4mm through 6.0mm in thickness and widths up to 1600mm was supplied and built by Hitachi-Mitsubishi
- ZM2 which has the capacity to produce final products from 0.25mm through 4.0mm in thickness and widths up to 1350mm was designed and built by SMS
- Additional processing equipment include an off-line SKP (Andritz), Polishing Line for #4, HL and Scotch Brite Finishes (Demis), two Slitting Lines (SL1, Hitachi; SL2, Fagor), a combination Slitting/Shearing Line for coil, slits and sheet products (CS1, Hitachi) and a Trimming/Shearing Line for sheet products (CS2, Fagor).
BAHRU current employees nearly 600 people. Approximately 30% of Bahru’s production is distributed to customers in Malaysia. The balance is exported not only to countries in the ASEAN region but to customers everywhere in the world with sales to more than 50 countries.
Our products are consumed in a wide variety of industries including petrochemical, oil & gas, architecture, automotive, construction, pressure vessels and appliances. Additionally, we are certified to the following standards: ISO9001:2015, ISO14001:2015, ISO45001, PED and CE.