MISIF, Nickel Institute and International Molybdenum Association jointly organized a webinar titled “Best Welding Practices for High Performance Stainless Steel and Nickel Alloys” on 16 August 2022.
The webinar session was conducted by Dr. Graham Sussex, Technical Specialist and Nickel Institute Consultant. He has worked in materials engineering and corrosion prevention since 1979. From 2001, he has been the Technical Specialist for the Australian Stainless Steel Development Association, presenting seminars, writing technical articles and providing advice to architects, engineers, project managers and owners of institutions, buildings and infrastructure.
The contents of the presentation included:
- Basics about carbon steels, stainless steels and high nickel alloys
- Differences in properties that affect welding behavior
- The similarities and differences between welding the various families and grades of stainless steel and nickel alloys
- What welding can do to mechanical and metallurgical properties and particularly corrosion resistance
- Preparing to weld: effects of fabrication techniques and cleanliness, gaps, angles, fillers, welding method and heat input
- Welding workmanship, quality control and defect limits for different materials
- Inspection and post weld cleanup
A total of 60 participants joined the webinar session from various steel related companies.